Buying one of the best torches for photography can be a bit of a challenge for some people due to the fact that there are a lot of different torches available for a huge amount of uses. Choosing the right one according to your needs among so many options is the key while looking for best torch lights for photography.
In my experience, a photographer may need a torch for different purposes including night photography, light painting and underwater photography. I will be discussing this in more detail later on.
First, let’s have a look at the best torchlights that I recommend for photography.
Nitecore CU6 Torch – Black
Key features and benefits
- Five individual light sources – two main LEDs plus secondary red, blue and green LEDs for both cold and warm light photography.
- CREE XP-G2 (R5) white LED that provides a maximum output of up to 440 lumens making it a super bright light for photography in the dark.
- Five selectable modes of output being red, blue, green, white and ultraviolet help you switch between different colours for different shades of light in the picture. The low blue light is excellent for picking up dark colours in your frame.
- 1 x 18650, 2 x CR123 batteries that provide maximum runtime of 400 hours on lowest mode of output. I would recommend the 18650 li-ion battery because of the fact that it’s rechargeable and works just fine for the photography purpose.
- Integrated “Precision Digital Optics Technology” and the second generation “Crystal Coated Technology” helps provide extreme reflector performance and makes the throw distance up to 180 metres in case you need long beams of light in your frame.
This torch is ideal for photography, hunting, forensics, police investigations and law enforcement. With the right setting, I found that it also works very well for photography purposes. The fact that this torch has five different power modes is what I like the most about it because it allows you to adjust the light according to your needs. For me, it worked really well for night photography where I had to limit the amount of light on an object to a certain level in order to get the best shot. Apart from being lightweight, I found this torch to be durable as well. Its performance in light painting photography is also exceptional because of its warm light that is nor too bright neither too dim.
- Constructed from aero grade aluminium alloy that makes this torch shockproof to drops from heights.
- Dual side switches provide independent control of white and coloured LEDs.
- Easy to operate user interface.
- A specialized u-shaped tail cap makes it easy to operate with gloves and also prevents accidental activation.
- Its rugged diamond-shaped knurling offers a secure and ergonomic grip.
- Instant-on functionality lets you enter the turbo mode directly.
- Stainless steel retaining ring protects the core components from damage.
- Tail stand capability.
- It should have a built-in micro USB charging port.
Streamlight 66148 Stylus Pro USB UV Rechargeable Pen Light
Key features and benefits
- C4® LED technology that is used in this torchlight makes the light much brighter, considering the size of this torch.
- The beam throw is very impressive at both high and low modes – 109 meters at high and 58 meters at low. Can be helpful if you want to work around with a sleek and slim beam of light in your photos.
- The aluminium housing with Type II Military Spec anodizing helps make the light extremely durable and abrasion-resistant. It can survive a drop from up to 6 meters.
- 5 hours of run time at high and 3.5 hours of run time at low, the battery life is quite enough for the sake of photography from a torch so little in size.
- On/Off: Push-button tail switch – momentary or constant-on operation, pushing the switch fully powers the light on and off, while slightly pressing it to keep the light on constantly.
- It is a very compact and slim flashlight that can easily be placed in your pocket like a pen.
- Amazing and bright enough light for the size.
- Packaged with a removable pocket clip and holster making it easy for you to carry it around in your pocket.
- The lens of this light is made up of polycarbonate that is unbreakable.
- The power switch is hard that makes it a little uncomfortable to keep the light on. Pushing it halfway for longer period of time in order to keep it on gets a little uncomfortable.
Olight Warrior X Tactical Torch Powerful 2000 Lumens Tactical Flashlight
Key features and benefits
- Using a 15A high-discharging 3000mAh 18650 lithium battery, the Warrior X produces a 2,000-lumen output and 560-meter throw allowing you to see even during heavy rain or foggy weather.
- It has a Cree XHP35 NW LED emitter which produces a rather long throw of light for extreme light requirements.
- Has three output modes, turbo, low and strobe making it convenient for you to adjust the light accordingly in your photos.
- It has a quality tempered glass lens that makes it anti-scratch and anti-reflective.
- The flashlight comes with the metal cigar grip allows you to hold the flashlight like a cigarette. It also has a belt clip that is also well made and has an excellent grip with clothes.
This is the most powerful and effective of the three torchlights that I have listed when it comes to photography because it probably is the brightest flashlight in this size. This small thing will surely live up to hype.
- Unbelievably bright, makes it the best option for light painting photography.
- Thick aluminium alloy body and a 3mm tempered glass lens making it a tough one.
- Ideal for photography, hunting, police and other law enforcement.
- Easy Operation with softly and deeply pressing the tail switch to easily change between 2 output modes.
- Standard hotspot diameter with impressive distance for perfect all-around beam profile.
- An internal motor which vibrates to inform you when the battery is low.
- The tail switch is a bit harder to press while maintaining a grip at the same time.
Now, let’s look at the types of photography that can be done by making use of these flashlights,
For most night photographers, the flash of the camera doesn’t do the job so they tend to find the LED torch lights that they can use for both cold and warm light photography and with different output powers. The flashlights that emit yellow or orange light can be called as a warm light whereas the ones that emit white light are often called the cold flashlights. What I know from my experience is that the torch lights that offer multiple colour outputs and a high CRI (colour rendering index) value are the best for night photography.
Light painting photography
Light painting photography can be defined in two ways,
- A style of photography in which an object is illuminated in the frame of the camera but you keep the light out of the frame at the same time. An example of this is model photography in low light.
- A style of photography in which the flashlight is kept in the frame and is used to draw different patterns or sort of a painting in the air. You can also call it light painting or light writing.
Exploring the underwater world can be quite fun for photographers because of the fact that there is so much to be discovered. If you plan on exploring reefs or visiting underwater caves and other covered areas with the intention of capturing the hidden beauty, you might need a flashlight for the additional lighting. The deeper you go in the ocean, the more powerful flashlight you need because it gets darker as you go deep.
If you are planning on buying the best flashlight for one of the above-mentioned purposes, you have a lot of options available in the market and online to choose from. I have reviewed for you three of the best torchlights available in my opinion.
If you are a photographer interested in light painting, night photography or underwater photography, your torchlight is essentially the item you want to be best. I have suggested you with lightweight and easy to use torchlights having multiple output modes and colour-tinted LEDs. There is no one torchlight that that meets all the requirements of a photographer and that is why most photographers have a large collection of torchlights to best suit the situation. In order to get the best result out of your light photography experience, you can always use a mixture of different torch lights for any specific project that you are working on.